This is Mike Kunkel’s Eisner-Award winning comic book series.
Herobear and the kid is a nostalgic view of childhood, complete with new schools, bullies, true love, imagination, and… a magic bear.
After his grandfather passes away, young Tyler inherits an old stuffed toy bear and broken pocket watch. He soon learns that things aren’t always what they seem, and that you shouldn’t judge a bear by its cover.
From two-time Eisner-award winner Mike Kunkel, comes a tale of childhood adventure about two best friends… Herobear and Tyler. Come join us to remember your childhood, as Tyler remembers his.
Herobear and the Kid Awards
- 2003 Eisner Award Winner: Best Title for All Ages
- 2002 Eisner Award Winner: Best Title for All Ages
- 2001 IGNATZ Award Nomination for Promising New Talent: Mike Kunkel
- 2001 IGNATZ Award Nomination for Outstanding Story: Herobear and the Kid #2
- 2001 IGNATZ Award Nomination for Outstanding Series: Herobear and the Kid #2
- 2001 IGNATZ Award Nomination for Outstanding Series: Herobear and the Kid
- 2001 NinthArt Award for Talent Deserving Wider Recognition: Mike Kunkel
- 2000 Russ Manning Award Nomination for Most Promising Character
- 2000 Eisner Award Nomination for Best Title for a Younger Audience
Issue #1 SAMPLE PAGES . . .
The BRAND NEW
Herobear and the Kid SPECIAL #1...
The BRAND NEW adventure from Herobear and the Kid creator Mike Kunkel!
It's Picture Day at Tyler's school, and naturally he's forgotten! But before Tyler can pick his good side, he has to sneak out of class with his best friend Herobear to stop an attack on the Simpleton Bridge from the mysterious Von Klon and his Sub of Doom! ...and he better not lose his hall-pass in the process.
Don't miss the relaunch of the Eisner award winning creation with a brand new original adventure!
The main characters in the world of Herobear and the Kid are . . .
- At the heart of the story is Tyler. He's 10 years old...a day-dreamer...the shortest kid in his class...and usually, he gets himself into trouble because he acts first and thinks later. Tyler definitely wears his heart on his sleeve and is very impulsive. But, what he has going for him is that he's inherited one of the best things ever from his grandfather . . . Herobear.
- a magical, stuffed bear given to Tyler from his Grandfather as an inheritance. When Tyler touches his nose, it transforms into the 10-foot tall, cape-wearing polar bear named Herobear. Tyler couldn't have asked for a better best friend.
- the ever present, ever time conscious butler that takes care of Tyler and his family. Time is very important to Henry Thyme. Very important.
- Von Klon is the mysterious inventor bent on trouble, control and ultimate power for himself and no one else . . . of course, he still has to deal with Herobear and the kid stopping his plans at every turn. However, we will soon find out that it is not by chance that he is facing off with Tyler. there is a . . . history between them.
- Tyler couldn't be more smitten by the beautiful Vanessa, the prettiest girl in school. And though Tyler wears a superhero mask . . . Vanessa is very curious about the "kid" with Herobear. There is something . . ."familiar" about him.
- Tyler's best friend at school is the always hungry Elmo. He is an expert on all things in the realms of collectibles, video games, cinema and of course, . . . comics. He is a geek . . . and very proud of it.
- Tyler's little sister is the ever-active, non-stop-talking, hyper 6-year-old bundle of energy and glee named Katie. She loves Herobear. He's furry, giant and huggable . . . and to Tyler's frustration, Herobear will often be found enjoying snacks with Katie's other stuffed animals in a tea party.
MAX and PAULY
- Every good, and bad, villain needs minions. Von Klon is saddled with Max and Pauly. Constantly distracted . . . what they lack in genuine help, they try to make up for with mild admiration for their boss and constant test subjects for his machines and plans. At least Von Klon can use them to carry stuff for him.
the BULLIO BROTHERS
- Three brothers all in Tyler's class. Bobby, Billy and Bruno . . . 11, 12 and 15 years old, respectively. The teachers are all hoping their combined grade point average will move them up into the next grade. Tyler is just hoping they'll move to another town.
- Tyler's warm-hearted, bigger-than-life grandfather passed away and Tyler misses him greatly. However, he left an inheritance to his family. For Tyler he left him a little stuffed bear and a broken pocket watch. Maybe not quite what he was expecting, but grandpa knows what Tyler needs. His grandfather's life and secret are at the soul of Tyler's world. There's more to him than meets the eye . . . so you better watch out.
This is the awesome TPB Collection of Mike Kunkel's Herobear and the Kid series. It contains all of the original 5-issue story arc, along with a extra sketches and behind the scenes artwork.
© 1990-2016 MIKE KUNKEL all rights reserved